Saturday, August 28, 2010

I Thought.................

I thought with all these beach walks I am doing, maybe it would be a good idea to give you some landmarks so that you could google and then you will know just where I am going to on these lovely springtime strolls. First place to start, Perth, Western Australia, the worlds most isolated city, a long way from anywhere, and, not a great deal to do or see, apart from these endless beaches that go for miles and miles. The beach I currently use as a starting point is only four minutes, by car from my house. Mullaloo Beach is named after an aboriginal word which means, place of the rat kangaroo. I have yet to see a rat kangaroo, or any kangaroo on the beach. The place has been humanised, I doubt if there is a kangaroo in miles of here, which is a shame. But thats progress! From here I use to head north to Ocean Reef Beach, but, found that this was becoming too easy so now I head south, on a longer and more interesting route. My aim is to walk to Hillarys Boat Harbour which is a pretty good work out. Don't ask me how far it is, for now though, it is far enough! Hillarys got its name from an early settler Bertram John Hillary (1895-1957) This is turning into a history lesson for me too, I had no idea about this stuff prior to writing this. In between Mullaloo and Hillarys is a dog and horse exercise beach which was the highlight of my walks the last couple of days. (But, seeing that these are yesterdays photos, I went camera less today, so no happy dog photos.) Anyway, I found it so amusing watching all these happy pooches swimming, running, playing, rolling in seaweed and just being, well, dogs! The funniest part was watching the owners throwing balls and sticks into the water and expecting the dogs to go and get them, only for the dogs to sit down and just look at them, or run off after another dog. Hilarious, I had a few hearty chuckles to myself as I walked past. So much more entertaining than a people beach that is for sure. As is normal for this time of year the only other locals out in force were the seagulls.
Like me they know a good day for a quiet stroll when they see one......

3 comments:

luksky said...

Wonderful idea!! Being the lover of sigtseeing that I am this is right up my alley. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

Gemel said...

Thanks, I enjoy seeing your part of the world too ♥

Anonymous said...

Hi Gemel, truly a beautiful inspiring blog, especially being a cat lover myself. Blessed be - Beck@Earthly Rituals : )