Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Warm Winter Sun......

The warm winter sun seems to have woken a tiny local.
A baby Dugite in fact.
This little critter belongs to one of Western Australia's most deadly reptile families.
I for one was fascinated by his appearance on a particularly brisk winters afternoon.
I am not certain if it was hurt, or just moving very slowly due to lack off heat, anyway I stood and watched his progress for around ten minutes.
I use to run a mile at the mere mention of snake, and would get shudders if I turned a page in a book and there was a picture of one.
I asked the Universe a few years ago to cure me of my dread, and low and behold I was given a safe encounter, which, has solved the phobia.
There is a sad ending to my tale though.
After I thought that the little snake had retreated far enough of the bitumen path I continued on my walk, happy to have seen such a rare glimpse of a usually shy creature.
But, on my way back I was to find that he had been murdered at the hands of another human.
I was disgusted to say the least.
You have more chance of having a car accident here than being bitten by one of the local deadly inhabitants, but that does not stop the brutal and cold blooded murder of thousands of snakes and goannas each year.
I was in total shock at how many humans fail to see the perfection in these beautiful creatures, they are hypnotic to watch as they glide along, grounded far more to our Earth Mother than any other.
Sure if you scare one or corner it you may be bitten, but if left alone they will always slither for cover, I mean lets face it, how much smaller than us are they?
At least I gave him a few moments of pleasure as I admired his beauty and felt connected to another for one precious moment in time.................

No comments: