Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Pixie, what are they?

Pixie what are they? young Tamal asks.
Oh, they are birds, Spirit chases them and if mum doesn't stop him in time, he even eats them.
Oh, they sure smell good.........
A mother Magpie and her baby kept these two entertained for a good half an hour.
Engrossed completely as Mrs Magpie watched patiently as her child searched for bugs to eat. I, meanwhile was keeping a watchful eye out for Spirit, although I think he would have to be pretty damn good to catch himself a magpie, they would certainly put up a good fight. Usually though the other parent is on alert high up in a tree, watching for the likes of Spirit lurking in the bushes, and if threatened them they will call out to alert the those on the ground. I have missed my crows since I moved here last August, I enjoyed watching the interaction of the family that had made my garden their home, it was delightful to see birds in the garden once again, and me being present and still, just watching them, seeing the bonds of love that connect them, like any human relationship. Birds have always amazed me, they are constantly alert to the dangers that surround them that may strike at any time.
This babies face says it all as it stands safely beside its mother, a breathtaking glimpse of animal magic .......

3 comments:

Jaky said...

yeah.

Marlene said...

I love birds also..The one thing I fear the most is when cats are near the young helpless ones...

Nancy said...

I absolutely love watching birds. We have one that I think is a sap sucker who has been visiting the trees outside my window, despite the snow! Such a dear little creature.