Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Grevilleas............

Grevilleas are my absolute favorite flower here in Western Australia, I have lots of them scattered around my garden tempting the delicate honey eating birds to come searching for the luscious nectar that waits within their petite petals....... I have selected as many different varieties as I could find, yet whenever I go strolling around a garden centre and find a new specimen it usually finds it's way home with me. They are fascinating, I stare at them for hours, somehow pulled into the essence of their exotic presence....... As I wait, impatiently, I might add, for these to blossom in to full glorious bloom I have noticed a number of honey eating birds are frequently my piece of paradise, checking I assume whether their tempting tasty treats are yet ready to devour....... I do enjoy the winter months here in Western Australia, it is a time where colours burst forth after the relentless heat of the draining summer months, a time for meandering strolls around the now green gardens and natural bush retreats, watching the birds rejoicing in the cooler winter weather........... Winter here is so vastly different to that of England, where the biting cold and bare trees hibernate against the frosty weather, here winter is a gentle, wet season, one where if you dress wisely you can enjoy the land more fully than in the harsher summer months.............

No comments: