Friday, September 26, 2008

The Last Frog.......................

The nursery where I work a few hours a day is currently in the process of relocating to another site which means that all the locals are having to find new homes! Today I was moving the final plants ready for the earth moving machinery to come in, it is for me a sad time, a once thriving home for insects, frogs, reptiles, rabbits and of course many, many birds has become a desolate barren desert, the once ambient atmosphere has been replaced by nearly complete silence, there are a few magpies and mudlarks that follow me around as I loaded my trailer grabbing worms and wood lice for their growing chicks. I was all to aware that it had been a very long time since I had sighted any rabbits, lizards or frogs, when all of a sudden a perfect tiny tree frog was sitting right before my eyes, I picked him up telling him how precious he was then I moved him somewhere safe, my plan was to bring him home so that he could make his home in my garden, his hiding places as well as his family long gone, this little frog was the lone survivor. Alas though this was not to be, as much as I attempted to keep my eye on him he slipped from my view and no amount of searching drew me to his location, in hindsight perhaps the journey to a new home was not a good idea, I just trust the he is safe and manages to enjoy the remainder of his froggy days.........................

No comments: