Sunday, January 13, 2008

I was enjoying a moment of solitude this afternoon prior to watering the gardens and noticed that although these gardens have only been planted a few weeks, they appear to be thriving, despite the strong winds that howl through here during summer.
The bamboo in particular around the poolside is visibly growing at a furious pace, I am lulled by the rustling sound the wind makes as it passes though their leaves. By next summer I feel they will have reached the fence top, adding movement and camouflaging the grim brown fence.
The native garden nearer the house has seen two casualties, however now all are doing very well with flowers expected on the guervillia's, banksia and bottle brush's very soon. The bird bath has a few regular visitors and as the flowers begin to open I am excited to see the honey eaters coming to feed.
Nurturing your own special piece of earth is utterly gratifying, the pleasure I receive from watching these plants growing is immense, and I maybe bias, but I think that it is evident that they are loved and spoken to especially when I walk around our surrounding neighborhood and see the other gardens, the energy nowhere as vibrant as my personal oasis. I have been spied on more than one occasion out in the front garden stroking and talking to my precious plants, am I bothered??? No!

No comments: